Topaz – the rescue kitty

We rescued our cat Topaz (named for her pretty Topaz colored eyes) through a Petsmart rescue program back in 2003.  We were thrilled to have her pick us to be her faithful humans and we have spent nine wonderful years with her – curled up on our laps napping, next to us on the couch as we watch TV, asleep at the foot of our bed when we sleep, lying on her back in the hallway waiting for us to greet her when we come home from work and sitting on a chair by the kitchen island watching us lovingly as we cook our meals (and prepare hers naturally).  Given what a gem she is, we have no idea how she ended up in a rescue program in the first place, but we just assume that she got separated from her first family by accident rather than by being abandoned or discarded.  She will eternally be our kitten despite the fact that she was already full grown when she joined the family.  We nick named her ‘Puditten’ within months (Pudy Tat + Kitten = Puditten) and,  I have no idea when exactly it happened, but that has become her name now.
This year, during an annual checkup, our amazing veterinarian Dr. Hudman noted that her blood tests were a bit unusual.  After some additional testing, she was diagnosed with a Hyperthyroid condition, which as we understand it is actually fairly common in cats.  Naturally we wanted to do everything we could for our loving little friend.  So, after spending some time making sure she would respond to the medication and once we’d determined that she was a good fit for it, we made the decision to have the radioactive iodine treatment done at the Arizona Veterinary Specialty Center.
I cannot speak more highly of the folks that cared for our treasured little one (Dr. Beaver and Dr. Arthur to name just a few) while she was in their care and I’m happy to report that although she’s still in her first month of recovery, she seems to be doing great!  The resilient little bugger has been such a trooper, spending a week in the hospital for the procedure and then two further weeks with reduced contact with us (which I suspect was the hardest part for everyone).  We were so worried that she’d be traumatized (for example I’ll never forget the way she was trembling when we left her on the day of the actual procedure) or that there might be complications.  But, as of now she seems just like her same loving little self, probably better than ever really and ready for many more years with us by her side.  While I never thought she ‘seemed’ sick, I can still tell on some higher level, that she’s in a healthier place now just by looking into her eyes and reading her daily behavior.

Nicolas, Phoenix AZ

Speak Your Mind